If you have sustained injuries because of someone else’s actions, you might feel like your world is upside-down. It’s understandable to feel overwhelmed, but remember: you are not alone. The right personal injury attorney can take care of the complex legal work and help you seek the maximum compensation you deserve. By using this checklist, you can better understand what you need and what to expect in your personal injury case.
Documents to Bring to Your Initial Consultation
Being well-prepared for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney can set the stage for a successful claim. Here are the documents you should bring:
- Medical Records: Include all documents related to your injuries, treatments, prescriptions and any future care you might need.
- Police Reports: If law enforcement officials responded to an accident, a police report can provide crucial details about the incident.
- Insurance Information: This includes details about your health, auto, or any other relevant insurance policies.
- Photographs: Pictures of the incident scene, your injuries, or any property damage make for compelling evidence.
- Income Information: Pay stubs or income records can help your lawyer calculate your lost wages and any reduction in your future earning capacity.
- Witness Accounts: If anyone else saw the accident, their statements can provide valuable information and context.
Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Attorney
Choosing the right attorney is critical to winning a personal injury case. Below we’ve listed some critical questions to ask during your initial consultation:
- “What’s your experience with personal injury cases like mine?”
- “How often do you win personal injury cases?”
- “What would your approach or strategy be for my case?”
- “How do you structure your fees? Do you work on a contingency basis?”
- “What’s your policy regarding keeping your clients informed?”
Basic Steps in a Personal Injury Case
Personal injury cases can vary, but they generally follow these basic steps:
- Consultation with an Attorney: This is where you share your story, provide documentation, and ask your attorney questions.
- Investigation: After the initial consultation, your attorney will begin gathering evidence and facts about the incident.
- Demand and Negotiation: Your attorney can submit a demand letter to the liable party’s insurance company and negotiate on your behalf for a reasonable settlement.
- Filing a Lawsuit: If the liable party or their insurer won’t agree to a fair settlement, your attorney can file a personal injury lawsuit to protect your rights.
- Discovery: After your attorney files a lawsuit, both sides will exchange information and prepare for trial.
- Trial: If an insurer does not offer a fair settlement, we can continue with the lawsuit and take your case to court. At this point, it’s up to a judge or jury to determine if you’ll receive compensation for your injuries.
How We Can Help You Seek Maximum Compensation
Winning a personal injury case is no picnic, but with our team by your side, you’re not facing it alone. Here’s a more detailed look at how we fight on our client’s behalf for maximum compensation:
- Conduct a Detailed Investigation: We leave no stone unturned when we fight for our clients. From examining the incident scene, reviewing medical reports, and interviewing witnesses, we can gather all the available evidence to build a robust case.
- Utilize Expert Resources: We have a network of professionals, including medical experts, accident reconstruction experts, and vocational experts, who can provide testimony and solidify your claim.
- Tough Negotiation: Insurance companies often try to minimize how much they pay in claims, leaving the injured parties in the lurch. We know how to counter their tactics and fight for what you deserve.
- Trial Readiness: While many cases settle out of court, we prepare for every case as if it’s going to trial. This readiness often motivates insurance companies to offer a fair settlement. If they don’t, we are fully prepared to present your case in court and fight for your rights.
- Continual Support: From the initial consultation to the final verdict or settlement, we will stand with you every step of the way. Our attorneys will keep you informed about the progress of your case, answer any questions you have, and provide the support you need during this challenging time.
Contact Our New York Personal Injury Attorneys Now
Don’t navigate this difficult journey alone. Reach out to our experienced New York personal injury attorneys today. Remember, time is of the essence in personal injury cases, so call us today or fill out our contact form for your free consultation.