ClickCease How to Request a Police Report in New York City | 800-PAIN-LAW

Get A Free Case Evaluation

How to Request a Police Report in New York City

Seth Harris

Last modified on September 1, 2023

How to Request a Police Report in New York City

After a car crash, your first priority is your health and safety, but don’t forget to protect your legal rights. Police reports can provide critical, unbiased information in a personal injury case, especially if the person who injured you disputes what happened or who caused the accident.

The New York personal injury attorneys at Harris, Keenan & Goldfarb often use police reports as evidence in these cases, as they provide a neutral account of what happened. Knowing how to request a police report related to your case can help you find the evidence you need to secure fair compensation for your injuries. If you have ever wondered how to request a police report in New York City, this guide will show you.

Different Types of Police Reports in New York City

If you need a police report for a personal injury case in New York, the first step is identifying the type of report you need. The New York Police Department (NYPD) can provide different types of reports for different incidents, and those reports include:

  • Verification of Incident: A Verification of Incident report typically involves criminal activities and cases of lost property. Did you find yourself injured due to a drunk driver’s recklessness or fall victim to a hit-and-run? This is the report you need, as it provides a detailed account of the incident.
  • Aided Records: If you suffered injuries in a non-collision event and the NYPD came to your aid, then the Aided Records report is what you need. This report meticulously documents how the NYPD helped you and the circumstances leading to the injury.
  • Motor Vehicle Collision Reports: Car accidents are a part of life in any major city, and New York is no exception. When these accidents occur, the Motor Vehicle Collision Report is vital evidence for those involved. Whether it’s a minor fender-bender or a major collision, this report captures the specifics of the crash.

Options for Requesting a New York Police Report

How to Request a Police Report in New York City 2The NYPD and other law enforcement agencies offer numerous ways to request official records related to a car accident or other incident. Those options include:


In many cases, the fastest way to obtain a police report in New York is to request one online. The NYPD’s Collision Report Retrieval Portal allows you to search for accident reports based on when the crash occurred, where it occurred, license plate numbers, dates of birth, or other factors. If you need a Verification of Incident report, you can request it from the NYPD online database. Finally, if you sustained injuries in a collision outside city limits or another agency besides the NYPD investigated that crash, the New York DMV has instructions for requesting reports online.

By Mail

The NYPD and other New York law enforcement agencies often accept records requests by mail. For NYPD collision reports, you must complete two copies of the Request for Copy of Collision Record form and mail them to the precinct where the incident took place. (You can find the details about your local police precinct here.) Unfortunately, it appears the New York DMV does not currently accept records requests by mail. If you need an Aided Records report from the NYPD, you can request the report by mail. Send two copies of the records request form and a self-addressed envelope to the following address:

  • NYPD/Criminal Records Unit (Aided Unit)
  • 375 Pearl Street
  • Suite 4, 16th Floor
  • New York, NY 10038

The mailing address for Verification of Incident reports is slightly different. If you need one of these reports, complete two copies of the records request form and send them, along with a self-addressed envelope, to the following address:

  • NYPD/Criminal Records Unit
  • 375 Pearl Street
  • Suite 4, 16th Floor
  • New York, NY 10038

In Person

The NYPD does not allow you to retrieve Verification of Incident or Aided Records reports in person. However, you can request collision reports in person. These reports are available for 30 days after being filed at the closest precinct to where the crash took place. After that, these records are only available online through the New York DMV. To request a crash report in person, take two complete copies of the Request for Copy of Collision Record form to your local NYPD precinct.

Having Trouble Finding a New York Police Report? We Can Help

After a car crash or other incident, you have more important things to do than deal with police bureaucracy and paperwork. The New York personal injury attorneys from Harris, Keenan & Goldfarb can handle these records requests and build your case while you recuperate from your injuries. Call [phone-number linked=true] today or complete our contact form for a free case evaluation.

Related posts

How to Correct Wrong Information on a Police Report in New York

Take Photos at the Scene of an Accident

What Information You Should Exchange after a Car Accident

Over $500 Million in Verdicts and Settlements

Our track record showcases over $500 million won for our clients. Each victory underlines our commitment to justice and client care. Explore our impact, case by case.



A Brooklyn jury awarded Mr. Vargas $17.5 million for the City of New York’s violation of his civil rights for failing to provide him medical care while in custody. The jury found that the police officers involved failed to provide the necessary medical treatment and awarded $17.5 million to Mr. Vargas.



Harris Keenan & Goldfarb partners Seth Harris and Sheri Holland obtained a $4,730,398.00 jury verdict on behalf of our client who tripped and fell at a private apartment building in the Bronx, suffering a broken foot that developed a very painful, permanent neurological condition called Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (“RSD”).



A Bronx jury awarded John Doe over $12 million for an accident on a construction site. John Doe was working when a piece of scaffold weighing 35 pounds fell, striking John Doe in the lower back. John Doe suffered a herniated disc requiring surgical removal of a portion of the disc and permanent nerve damage.



A Bronx jury awarded $10.5 million to the mother of Malcolm Ferguson, who was wrongfully shot and killed by the New York City Police Department. The police officer, Louis Rivera, also a defendant in the case, was found to have used excessive force in violation of Malcolm Ferguson’s civil rights as protected under the United States Constitution.



A Bronx jury awarded plaintiff William Cardoza $4 million for injuries caused by the use of excessive force during an arrest. During the arrest, Mr. Cardoza was pepper-sprayed and repeatedly hit with a police nightstick. As a result, Mr. Cardoza sustained injuries to his hand and finger.



The firm’s client, a 33-year-old teacher’s assistant, was scalded by an espresso machine that exploded while the defendant’s employee was demonstrating how the machine worked. The client was a customer at the defendant’s coffee shop on the date of the accident and suffered first-degree burns to her right (dominant) hand.



The firm represented the mother- decedent and her infant son. During the decedent’s admission to the defendant hospital, the defendant dispensed anesthesia during an epidural to the decedent in an inadequate manner. The mother-decedent suffered personal injuries and wrongful death due to the defendant’s failure to properly administer epidural anesthesia.



Mr.Brennan fell from approximately 25 feet while working on a construction project. He suffered a shattered bone in his right leg requiring surgery and hardware placement. Mr. Brennan also suffered two fractures in his facial bones, and a dislocated finger requiring surgical repair.



The firm’s client was a child with cerebral palsy who was injured as a result of medical malpractice. The firm’s clients claimed improper management of pregnancy, labor, and delivery resulting in brain damage, and received a Brooklyn personal injury settlement.



The firm’s client, a 63-year-old mentally incompetent man, slipped and fell in his own urine while attempting to walk to the bathroom at the defendant’s senior citizen home. The client fractured his hip and as a result is confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life. The client claimed that the staff of the home failed to properly care for him, and the jury awarded $1,677,835.



The firm’s client, a 47-year-old male, slipped and fell on a public sidewalk in the Bronx. It had snowed four to five days prior to the date of the accident, and the sidewalk was covered with ice. The client suffered a lumbar fracture and a herniated disc. The jury found the city liable and awarded the client a $2,995,000 personal injury settlement in the Bronx.



A Bronx jury awarded plaintiff Luis Molina $2.61 million for injuries sustained when he fell down a subway station stairway. Mr. Molina was caused to slip and fall as a result of a plastic bag that had blown onto the steps from a street opening. As a result of the fall, Mr. Molina suffered a herniated disc and a tear of his right shoulder’s rotator cuff. The jury found that the NYC Transit Authority was liable for the accident.



A Bronx jury awarded Ms. Colon $2.25 million for a trip and fall accident. Ms. Colon was caused to fall when she moved to the right to allow another pedestrian to pass, and her foot rolled to the outside due to the sidewalk being unlevel with the adjoining grass. The jury found the defendant liable and awarded Ms. Colon $2,253,714.00 for her pain and suffering.



A Brooklyn jury awarded Arvella Floyd $1.9 million for a fractured wrist which required multiple surgeries, including an open-reduction internal fixation and a carpal tunnel release. Ms. Floyd was injured when the hot water knob of the shower fell off after numerous complaints to the superintendent, and scalding water spewed toward her, causing her to
fall and break her wrist.



A Bronx jury awarded plaintiff Juanita Young $1,350,000 for injuries caused by the use of excessive force during an arrest. During the arrest, Ms. Young, who is legally blind, was handcuffed from behind, with her children watching, and taken to the top of the stairs to exit the building. The officer proceeded to push her down the stairs multiple times.

What Our Clients Say About Us

Angelo Del GuercioAngelo Del Guercio
20:03 11 May 24
Horrible people. I lost complete confidence in this firm. Attorneys dragged their feet for 4 years and my mom died before a settlement could be reached. I advised them several times that my mom was sick to put fire under their feet but the effort was to no avail.
david Santiagodavid Santiago
18:05 21 Mar 24
Maria RoqueMaria Roque
20:49 15 Mar 24
Excellent person, very Professional, they assist you in any language, your call is always answered. I recommend you for any case of support you have, your refund is satisfactory. and fast
14:09 02 Mar 24
I am completely satisfied, and recommend Harris Keenan & Goldfarb as Attorneys to represent anyone. Their care for me physically, and overall helped me stay strong in spite of my injuries. Always available to answer questions, and inform.They got me Justice, and achieved a substantial outcome for my case.I am very impressed, and thankful for their outstanding performance on my behalf.I am very pleased, and significantly satisfied with their representation.‐-Sherylon Wilkins
Robert LennonRobert Lennon
15:26 21 Feb 24
Patient and diligence is how I describe the effort of HKG the work was thorough, honest and fair, I have no complaints. Special thanks to attorney Blake and his paralegal Thierry.
Gene Matos (fanboye)Gene Matos (fanboye)
18:48 15 Jan 24
I first crossed paths with Seth Harris when serving jury duty many years ago. He was so professional and personable, that when my mom was seeking legal counsel for medical malpractice, I told her she had to reach out to his firm. We had meetings with a few different firms, but Harris Keenan & Goldfarb was the only firm that did not try to get us to sign paperwork before even meeting. They took the time to listen and understand our situation before we signed anything, and they were transparent and responsive the whole time. I would like to give special thanks to Samantha Walton, Marla Stein, Val Wallace and Seth Harris for helping my mom through this tough time. They were honest and upfront, and even though Seth Harris wasn't personally on the case, he took the time to meet with us and give us his thoughts on it.
Solange IsaacSolange Isaac
17:52 08 Jan 24
I am pleased with the services provided by Ms Sheri on my case. The team at Harris, Keenan, & Goldfarb were very nice and explained everything to me. Everything that I had questions on they answered without frustration and were prompt and knowledgeable.6 years ago I had a slip and fall accident at my employers place of business. I reached out to them because I knew that I was being wrongfully treated. They took care of the case, restored my self confidence, and brought so much peace to my problem riddled life.I can recommend without a shadow of a doubt the services of Harris, Keenan & Goldfarb to anyone who is in need of someone who will have your back!
Brittany DempseyBrittany Dempsey
16:02 08 Jan 24
My mother had an accident with her ankle back in 2019. I immediately contacted Harris, Keenan & Goldfarb on the day of the accident. They were extremely prompt and helpful. They attended to my mother's case beautifully and she's been recovering well. I'd like to thank you for being so diligent, kind and above all professional. I'd recommend this law firm to anyone who are injured and in need of legal assistance. My mother, Andrea, and I thank you for everything.
Read More Client Testimonials

Frequently Asked Questions

Common questions that prospective clients have about personal injury claims include:

  • Do I need an attorney?

    When you have suffered an injury, it can be difficult to know what to do next. If the injury was caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. However, filing a personal injury claim can be a complex and time-consuming process. An experienced attorney can help you navigate the legal system and fight for the maximum possible compensation.

  • How do I know I have a case?

  • When should I contact an attorney?

  • How do I determine which one to choose?

  • Once I hire an attorney, what should I expect?

  • Recent News

    Find out how to move forward after an unexpected event with our short, helpful articles. We share simple advice that can make a big difference in tough times.

    Contact Us

    Get A Free Case Evaluation Today